I was talking with a libertarian friend the other night. He was talking about that New Hampsire Free State Project. I think that will never work because not enough people who matter would move there–mostly people with little to lose.
But remember a year or so ago Texan Governor Rick Perry actually mentioned the possibilty of Texas seceding? Look, these politicians want to get votes. If there is a tipping point reached or sensed… imagine a candidate senses voter frustration in Texas with growing unemployment, taxes, etc.–to win as governor some candidate might try to capitalize on this. Imagine running on this campaign:
Elect me, and I will push for ELIMINATING your income taxes, and eliminating unemployment, making you richer, freer, more prosperous, and doubling or tripling your house value while cutting your property tax in half.
And this is not just an empty promise: it’s actually doable. Here’s the plan.
- We request independence, or some quasi-indendent status. We would have to make a deal with the US.
- Income tax GONE.
- We set up a huge free trade zone. Anyone can move here who has a job or means. We would have a huge influx of talented people the world over.
- We phase out all public schools in 5 years, and then we cut property tax in half, since most of it is for that. Everyone will be so much richer they can afford their own schools and medical care (the best doctors will move here too)
- No deficits or debt–gone.
- We might have to agree to make some “exit payment” to the federal government in the multi-billions. And there may be resistance to #4. So, as a concession, a temporary measure, we do this:
Once it did, this example would sweep the world.