≡ Menu

Joseph Newman’s Energy Machine

As I noted in My Days with Baton Rouge Skeptics, in the late 1980s, when I was in law school, I joined a local skeptics’ group in Baton Rouge, which was somehow affiliated with the national CSICOP, the Committe for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal. I eventually left, in part because of their reticence to criticize religion (as if religion should be exempt from the same type of skeptical criticism we aimed at people who said they had ESP) and, more importantly, because of their refusal to recognize socialism and statism as types of irrationality.

During those days, I was a BSEE then MSEE student at LSU. One of my (and my wife’s) professors was a very smart, patient, soft-spoken man named Ali S. Mirbod. I think he was from Egypt. He died a few years later of a brain tumor. I remember after he would present some difficult issue he would stop and say, “is it clear?” and it sounded like “EEZ EET CLEE-ARR”? Anyway there was at the time this Mississippi guy named Joseph Newman who claimed he had invented a way to harness subatomic “gyroscopic particles” to get free energy. He had all kinds of contraptions wiht battery stacks connected to his machine which powered a light bulb, and he claimed it was some kind of net energy producer.

This is obvious nonsense. So a patent application for it was rejected by the US Patent Office, on the grounds that the invention lacked utility—that it did not work. Since perpetual motion machines are impossible. This led to Louisiana Rep. Bob Livingston getting involved on Newman’s behalf, tests of the machine’s efficacy by my professor Mirbod and by the NIS, and to me corresponding with Livingston about it and writing my own mini-report for the Baton Rouge Skeptics group. The documents are here.

{ 9 comments… add one }
  • Ronald Treadaway October 12, 2012, 9:02 pm

Many years ago I remember Joseph Newmans energy maching. I understand that Ham Radio Operators use this techniqe to receive distant radio signals.

• Joe February 18, 2014, 9:00 am

Page 4 is missing from the document link, which includes the supposed testimony of the special-master investigator. Are you censoring the available information?

• Stephan Kinsella February 18, 2014, 9:13 am

ummmm no?

• Ritchie July 22, 2014, 2:10 pm

Is page 4 missing? If, so can the online document be updated to show it?

• Deeds May 26, 2017, 10:44 am

It’s a shame there was so much corruption over the whole thing. I mean he paid (I’ve seen the invoice and the payment slip) just under 12k for some top guy appointed by the judge to test his invention and then accept that the judge won’t give you a patent because HE doesn’t believe his OWN top guy (morons) – then the rapist charged Newman 11.5k for the pleasure. Everything about the story stinks and you bloody know it!! Go back to chasing ghosts. you omitted so much of the story – including page fucking 4. this article is trash, written by a wannabe collecting on Newmans fame from the internet – just like all the others. I don’t give a shit if the machine worked on not I DO care about how they treated him. In our faces on TV – watch the documentary no wonder the poor lost it in the end, fed the fuck up with this world. Sad – we killed him basically. or was that God punishing him for stealing when he was a kid – you should know all about that ghost chaser.

The only obvious nonsense is your ability to know what the fuck you’re talking about – show us some credibility in rubbishing the claim like you did. The patent office would not give him a patent becuase they have to suck the balls of Einstein. And you bloody well know that also. His fake fucking particles and black holes… geezUS.

• Deeds May 26, 2017, 10:44 am

moderate that last message – go on I dare you.

• Vince July 14, 2017, 3:38 pm

You are obviously another crooked crony in the pockets of pathetic disgusting bureaucrats. You are the type of people in this world who destroy rather then move forward the humanity on this planet. How dare you speak about science you know absolutely nothing about. This man’s life was destroyed attempting to do something good for the world. Yet the crooked cronies and crooked politicians and crooked government would not allow this machine to exist as they would loose everything related to the energy field. You Stephan are just scum as they are. I would love to meet you one day; you coward, phony pathetic scum of the Earth.