Podcast: Play in new window | Download ()
In a comment to his post on Sarah Palin, Sheldon Richman writes:
I don’t see that it’s obvious that the Supreme Court has been dishonest about the Constitution. It was written as a deliberately vague document designed to satisfy multiple interests. It’s very much an inkblot. Madison said it contained “few and defined” powers, yet he also endorsed the doctrine of implied powers. Let’s get real. The Constitution was the result of a virtual coup intended to overthrow the Articles of Confederation. The feeling among the movers in Philadelphia was that there was too little central government, not too much; too little protectionism, not too much. I don’t understand the constitutional sentimentalism among some libertarians. As Spooner said, the Constitution either authorized the government we have or was powerless to prevent it. Constitutions don’t interpret or enforce themselves. People do, thus the rule of law is always the rule of men. Protection of freedom will not come from constitutions or “limited” Leviathans but from competition.
This is a really good point. For other good material on this point, see:
- Sheldon Richman, The Articles of Confederation Versus the Constitution
- John Hasnas, The Myth of the Rule of Law
- Jeffrey Rogers Hummel, The Constitution as Counter-Revolution (mp3; pdf)
- Kinsella, Rockwell on Hoppe on the Constitution as Expansion of Government Power
- Lew Rockwell, The Hoppe Effect
- Rockwell, The Enemy Is Always the State
- Kinsella, Black Armbands for “Constitution Day”
- Kinsella, The Bad Bill of Rights, Goodbye 1776, 1789, Tom, Richman on the 4th of July and American Independence, The Murdering, Thieving, Enslaving, Unlibertarian Continental Army, Napolitano on Health-Care Reform and the Constitution: Is the Commerce Clause Really Limited?; Was the American Revolution Really about Taxes?; Re: Happy Bill of Rights Day — The Problem with the Fourteenth Amendment; Bill Marina (R.I.P.) on American Imperialism from the Beginning; Happy We-Should-Restore-The-Monarchy-And-Rejoin-Britain Day!; Revising the American Revolution; The Murdering, Thieving, Enslaving, Unlibertarian Continental Army; The Declaration and Conscription; ‘Untold Truths About the American Revolution’.
The Richman link at the bottom doesn’t work. Here is a google cache though http://bit.ly/fcDrF6
It would be great if we could all Unite all walks of life from every culture,except the jew and turk.Make them understand what the REAL PROBLEM is.I handed out over 1300 dvds and flyers l made at the Armenian Genocide Protest in L.A.I got the idea of doing this because jewtube and the turkish coalition would continue to genocide my accounts for NO JEWTUBE VIOLATIONS.So what l did was collect vids that l felt would make a impact on society,Passed them out for free to expose the fucking ashtray headed beasts! Even at the protest l got harrased by some fucking bitch.She went for the cops so l split,remained in the back streets and handed them out eventually.Jewtube and the turkish allahfuckbars actually gave me this idea. You see..l did the Homework for them which should open up some doors.l have even went into gang lands to speak to folks about the jew.Pointing the finger at the jew. Explaining how they have fucked the world and killed millions of Christians,Catholics,Muslims Etc. To add,l have been speaking to friends of other ethnic groupsabout the jew.They are all fucking clueless of what has been happening to the world.